3 Lobo apples, peeled and diced
1 minced red onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
15 mL (1 tablespoon) minced ginger
500 mL (2 cups) amber beer
500 mL (2 cups) apple juice
Freshly ground salt and pepper
4.4 lb (2 kg) ribs
15 mL (1 tablespoon) smoked paprika
45 mL (3 tablespoons) brown sugar
45 mL (3 tablespoons) tomato paste
5 mL (1 teaspoon) Worcestershire sauce
65 mL (¼ cup) apple juice
15 mL (1 tablespoon) soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a bowl, mix together all ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- In a pot, add all other ingredients, mix well, cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours until ribs are tender and slightly separating from the bone.
- Remove the ribs from the pot and place them on a non-stick baking tray.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the apples and onions from the pot and add them to a food processor. Purée until smooth.
- Add all sauce ingredients to the apple purée.
- Generously brush the ribs with the sauce and cook, uncovered, at 400ºF for 15 minutes.