15 mL (1 tablespoon) olive oil
5 lb (680 g) ground pork
1 chopped yellow onion
1 clove of garlic, chopped
5 mL (1 teaspoon) tourtière spices
30 mL (2 tablespoons) flour
190 mL (¾ cup) apple juice
15 mL (1 tablespoon) Dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper and salt
2 Cortland apples, peeled and sliced
4 lb (200 g) flaky dough
1 beaten egg
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and brown the pork, onion, garlic and spices for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and mix well.
- Stir in the apple juice, mustard, salt and pepper.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Place the dough in a buttered 10-inch pie plate.
- Add the pork mixture and cover with apple slices.
- Fold the excess pastry into the centre.
- Brush the filling and the dough with the beaten egg. Cook for 40 minutes or until the tourtière is golden brown.