3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, divided
3 cups (750 mL) frozen shredded hash browns, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 cup (60 mL) diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 slice deli ham, chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped asparagus
1 small red apple, peeled, cored and diced
2/3 cup (150 mL) milk
1/3 cup (75 mL) shredded Gruyère cheese
2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Melt half of the butter in small saucepan; toss with shredded hash browns. Press firmly into bottom and up side of 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until starting to crisp. Reduce temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat remaining butter in skillet set over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add ham, asparagus and apple; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until asparagus begins to soften.
- Scatter onion, garlic, ham, asparagus and apple over bottom of potato crust.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, Gruyère, Parmesan, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour into pie plate.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until quiche is golden and puffed and eggs are set.