2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb/500 g)
2 cups (500 mL) Rougemont Macintosh Apple Juice
2 cups (500 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
8 cups (2 L) arugula
1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled goat cheese
1 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted natural sliced almonds
2 tbsp (60 mL) Rougemont Mellow Apple Juice
2 tbsp (60 mL) white wine or apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh chives
1/2 tsp (2 mL) Dijon mustard
1 shallot, minced
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- Place chicken breasts in single layer in saucepan. Pour apple juice and chicken broth over top. Add onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper to saucepan.
- Heat over medium-high heat; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 °F (74°C). Remove chicken from liquid and let cool. Slice crosswise.
- Apple Vinaigrette: Meanwhile, whisk together apple juice, vinegar, chives, mustard, shallot and salt. Slowly whisk in olive oil until blended.
- Cook asparagus in saucepan of boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or just until bright green. Immediately plunge into bowl of ice water. Drain and pat dry. Chop into bite-size pieces.
- Toss arugula and asparagus with half of the vinaigrette. Arrange on 4 plates. Top with chicken slices, goat cheese, sliced apples and almonds. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.