2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
1/2 cup (125 mL) Allen’s Apple Juice Not From Concentrate
1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
1/2 cup (125 mL) quinoa
2 mild Italian sausages (casing removed)
1 apple, cored and chopped
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted chopped pecans
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh sage
1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Brush squash with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut-side down on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; set aside.
- Heat apple juice and chicken broth in saucepan set over medium-high heat; bring to boil. Add quinoa; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork.
- Fry sausage in skillet set over medium-high heat, breaking up with wooden spoon until browned. Reduce heat to medium. Add apple and onion; sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Stir together quinoa, apple, onions, pecans, parsley, sage, and half of the Parmesan.
- Spoon mixture into squash halves. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Transfer squash to baking sheet; cover with foil. Bake for about 10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Remove foil; bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is browned.