30 mL (2 tablespoons) butter + 30 mL (2 tablespoons) for the baking dish
1 L Cortland apples, peeled, seeded and cut into quarters
FOR THE FLAN:
125 mL (½ cup) brown sugar
1 vanilla pod
5 mL (1 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
125 mL (½ cup) unbleached all-purpose flour
250 mL (1 cup) milk
250 mL (1 cup) 35% cooking cream
FOR THE FLEUR DE SEL CARAMEL:
300 mL can of sweetened condensed milk (type: Eagle Brand)
Fleur de sel, to taste
COOKING TIME CLAFOUTIS : 46 MINUTES
COOKING TIME CARAMEL : 3 HOURS
- For the salted caramel: bring a large pot of water to boil and add the can of condensed milk.
- Boil constantly for 3 hours and make sure that the can is still submerged. Refrigerate.
- In a bowl, whisk the caramel, the cooled milk and the fleur de sel. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a pan, heat the butter and cook the apples, 3 minutes on each side.
- Butter a 10-inch dish.
- Place the apples in the bottom of the dish.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt together.
- Add the flour, whisking constantly. Slowly add the milk and cream, whisking constantly.
- Pour over apples and bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes or until the flan is cooked through.