- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Divide the dough in half. On a floured surface, roll out the two halves. Place one half in the bottom of the pie tin. Set aside in a cool place.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Peel and chop apples. Add to dry filling ingredients and mix well. Pour into pie shell.
- Scatter with butter cubes and cover with the other half of the pastry.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until crust is golden.
- Reduce oven heat to 350°F and continue baking 40-45 minutes, until apples are softened.